Friday, December 11, 2009

Stuff Khmer People Like

As with every country, there are things that people in Cambodia seem to more or less universally enjoy. Some are totally unsurprising, because they are awesome. Some are totally confusing… Either way, here’s what I’ve noticed.

1. Tom and Jerry
Every television I have encountered seems to get Cartoon Network, and plays Tom and Jerry at least 12 hours a day. I don’t know if Cartoon Network in America plays Tom and Jerry that much, but it really seems to ALWAYS be on TV here. I have walked into restaurants and seen it on, my adult host sisters and brothers watch it, it is always on at guest houses… I think maybe everyone watches it because there is not dialogue it is just universally available, but I have never really appreciated it before. Another thing I can learn to love here.
2. Wearing pajamas at all hours
I see women and girls of all ages wearing Khmer pajamas, which consist of pants and a long or short sleeve button up collared top, at all times of the day everywhere across Cambodia. They are worn to the market, around the house, to school if uniforms aren’t required, and anywhere else. I especially like the ones with little bears or bunnies that say things like “I love words” and “Hip-Hop Bear” which brings me to…
3. Hip-Hop
Khmer people take American hip-hop songs and sing them, or change the words to Khmer. I guess there is no copyright law here, but it makes for some banging jams. Also, I see people everywhere with brightly colored shirts that say things in block letters like “HIP HOP audition for super team all-stars dance.” My favorite one, which actually has nothing to do with hip-hop said, “My shirty attitude is none of your f*&#$* business!” Fair enough.
4. Rice
As I think I’ve mentioned it is really difficult to explain the American diet because everyone wants to know what we eat if not rice. I think I have somehow conveyed Americans consume about six loaves of bread a day.
5. White skin
Random women have touched my arms and legs, maybe to see if the color comes off? I frequently have conversations about how my skin is so beautiful because it is white. I tell everyone that in America having dark skin is beautiful, but the whole transformation of tan skin to a symbol of the leisure class rather than one of a field hand is a little beyond my vocabulary in Khmer. It has been a challenge to find face moisturizer here because everything has whitening formula in it. I don’t really know what that consists of, but I know I don’t want it in my face lotion.
6. White people who speak Khmer
Sometimes all it takes is saying “No, thank you” in Khmer to elicit a shocked howling, laughing reaction. Everyone seems to really dig it. Hopefully future employers and law school admissions officers will be equally pleased.
7. Comparisons
Be wary of traveling in groups around Cambodian towns as you will quickly know who is the fattest, tallest, prettiest, smartest, or anything other most adjective easily determined.
8. Motos
During the breaks at school all the male teachers sit on their motos rather than the benches. Teachers who I know live maybe a five minute walk from school ride their motos rather than walk. I watched a teacher drive across the courtyard to the classroom for his next class yesterday, which was about 100 yards, if that. Everyone has a moto. Even the babies ride on motos. Whenever anyone from my host family needs to go somewhere the two little kids run out and one climbs up behind and one stands in front of the driver, and they look super excited. I keep trying to convince my students books are as cool as motos, but I don’t think they are buying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment