Monday, March 22, 2010

The Battle for the Bathroom

Last week I was going to “take a shower”, to the extent you can call it that, in my house when I saw a HUGE spider on the opposite wall. Luckily my bathroom is big enough that I could keep a healthy distance between myself and the spider, because I did not want to deal with him. I’ve never been particularly afraid of spiders, and in college I was often the designated spider killer, but this is not your ordinary garden variety daddy long legs. This creature was the full size of my hand, and hairy. I’m fine with spiders in the bathroom, or my bedroom even, as long as they don’t move and stay where I can see them, but I was really not thrilled about this gigantic arachnid being so close to me. At least I could watch him to make sure he didn’t come closer while I showered…
I then turned to notice the cockroach sitting on the door frame. Of course this cockroach was also abnormally large. It was easily the size of a table spoon, plus legs and antennae. It was so gross looking and now I had to watch both the cockroach and the spider, AND I had to walk by the cockroach every time I went from the water bucket to the ledge where I set my bucket holding my shampoo and stuff.
Then of course there was also an average sized gecko in the room. I’m not scared of the geckos, and actually really like watching them eat bugs, but how much wildlife does one bathroom need?
It was quite a lot of work to keep track of all the creatures who all brought the outdoors in while bathing. I’m convinced they were doing an epic battle to decide who would control the territory of the bathroom. I never actually saw them fight per se, but the giant spider only had seven legs so I know he was a fighter. He had endured a battle and lost a leg, and still returned to fight. I did not want to mess with him.
For a few days the creatures came and went. The spider disappeared for awhile and another slightly smaller but also abnormally ugly one came to reside on the wall RIGHT NEXT TO my water bucket. He looked poisonous. I’m sure he was. The cockroach took up residence behind the mirror. He poked his horrible little Gregor Samsa face out a few times right next to my soap dish, but mostly he stayed out of my way.
I went away for the weekend and when I returned so had the spider. I noticed him on the underside of the pvc pipe used to fill the bathroom cistern. He was tucked back in the corner. I looked to see what he was up to and noticed he was holding something white, roundish, about the size of a table spoon rounded over. I did not see the cockroach. The gecko was there, however, and had the spider cornered. The horrible arachnid stretched one of his hairy spindly legs around the corner to see if it was a safe route of exit and brushed the gecko right in the face. The spider scurried back further into his corner, still holding the white thing. I was quite impressed the gecko didn’t even flinch. I stared for a few moments and then went about my business, always keeping an eye on the stalemate in the corner, but at least comfortable the gecko would hold the spider there. Then the gecko left! Just like that, with no provocation, he turned around and walked up the wall and through the open slot in the window. I quickly rinsed off and got the hell out of the bathroom. I am fairly sure that the white thing in the spiders’ grasp was the cockroach, all wrapped up and ready for snacking. I was not about to be next.
This morning the spider, the gecko, and the cockroach were no where to be seen. I think they retreated to their lairs for the day. But tonight the battle may continue. Who knows how it will end…

No comments:

Post a Comment