Sunday, January 16, 2011

"fine dining" a la Cambodge

Lately I've becoming more ambitious with my cooking. I made two batches of cookies from scratch last week using my "dutch oven" which is a pan elevated inside a larger pot holding water to basically create a convection oven. One batch was sugar cookies, which were missing vanilla extract, but still turned out ok. The second was peanut butter cookies. I had to try some different size cookies because they were kind of crumbly and fell apart but when I made it into more of a loaf, and just filled the pan with dough they cookie/bars turned out really well.
Peanut butter cookie bars.

This weekend I got more ambitious and made gnocchi from scratch! It was actually really easy. You just make plain, dry mashed potatoes with 4 potatoes and then mix/knead in 3-4 cups of flour until the dough is not sticky any more, but not hard either. The recipe said you should roll the dough into snakes and then cut 2cm pieces but my dough wasn't snakey, so I just rolled small balls of dough and boiled them until they floated. It was really tasty with some homemade tomato sauce on top. 

Gnocchi and tomato sauce, all made from scratch :)
Cruising to the market in Kampong Thom.

I'm hoping to pick up some groceries in town that I can't get in my village and try some new recipes. Maybe some hummus and flat bread! 

No comments:

Post a Comment