Wednesday, January 19, 2011

let me show you around

Since I haven't posted any pictures of my new house, I thought now would be a good time! I just cleaned the kitchen and bathroom :) I live in a room with an attached bathroom and a small kitchen area, both of which I get all to myself. It is really nice and usually pretty clean, unless I get busy and forget to scrub the floors for a week. My landlord lives in a big house at the front of the property with her family and a few renters. Behind the house there are individual "apartments" and that's where I live!
The view from my front door. Neighbors clothes drying and the trellis.
 Most of my neighbors are really nice. I live next door to a doctor who works at the Angkor Children's Hospital Satellite Clinic where I teach English twice a week. A lot of the other residents work at the Acleda bank in town.
My kitchen area. Not a lot of counter space, but it gets the job done.
 A giant cockroach just crawled out from under my bookshelf... nice.
storage for dishes
The kitchen sink... by which I mean a water spout and a hole in the ground.

 The room had just been built when I moved in. It was finished the day I moved actually. That means everything is as modern as you can get. I have a nice overhead fan hanging precariously from the ceiling that usually works.
The new desk my landlord just put in all the rooms.
  The house is basically right next to school, which is convenient. I spend a lot of time indoors because I like it so much. :) When I lived with a host family I was always trying to think of somewhere to go just to relax a little and be alone, but there isn't really anywhere. It is so much quieter here, and more peaceful. I love it. Also, my friend from the market lives a few doors down. She's usually working, but she told me this week she'd teach me how to make "cha gruen" or fried ingredients. It's just a stir fry with this delicious sauce on it. I'm excited about that.
desk and bookshelf
 Check out my awesome Cambodian pajama pants in the mirror in the above photo. Don't be too jealous.
my bed, mosquito net, and storage trunk
 Unfortunately there is no shower head, just a bucket and another water spout. But after a year and a half I'm quite used to the bucket showers so its not a big deal at all. The one bad thing is the water often comes out icy cold from the storage tank outside. In cold season it is pretty painful, but I always feel like I'm wasting gas if I boil some water for my shower. I just try to do some jumping jacks before bathing... and brace myself. I'd rather be chilly in the shower and enjoy cold season, than face the hot season again where you shower 18 times a day just to try and not be sweaty for a few seconds.
the bathroom

buckets for laundry and showering
There is plenty of space between the bed and the desk for me to do yoga, which I've been doing almost every day since I moved in. I can also jump rope in the yard area outside my door, which is nice. Usually the neighbors keep to themselves and don't stare too much when I do my weird foreigner exercises in the yard.
my digs!
So that's my place! I hope you enjoyed it as much as I do. Not bad for only $50 a month plus utilities and water. No charge for garbage, of course. I just walk through the duck/chicken coop and throw it over the back fence where it will be burned later... oh Cambodia.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! This is SO MUCH BETTER than before!!! That desk is very lolo. Looks like a vanity. hope you're enjoying life

    ReplyDelete
  2. The desk is cute! Like lolo said,it looks much better than the other place. I hope that you're more comfortable hugs!

    ReplyDelete